Lab Technician - Chemist / Metallurgist
- GE Aviation - 280 jobs https://www.jobsinaviation.com/jobs/aviation/ge-aviation/ https://www.jobsinaviation.com/Images/Default/recruiters/Thumbnail/ccc13e36-a3be-4aac-9ef6-88f587f249eb131129807088665247.png
Cardiff (Caerdydd), Wales
- Conducting routine chemical analysis & physical analysis of chemical tanks and water supplies across site in line with OEM & ASTM standards.
- Assess results for applicability, validity and conformance to specifications and statistical trends.
- Ability to use various analytical equipment and display knowledge of traditional wet chemistry test methods.
- Responsible for maintenance and routine calibration of laboratory equipment.
- Qualitative and Quantitative analysis of fuels and oils across site in accordance to OEM and ASTM standards.
- Design, plan and conduct key laboratory testing work to support internal and external GE departments, to assist with repair development work.
- Ability to plan and write technique sheets in accordance with all engine types.
- Complex knowledge and understanding of chemicals and associated hazards when producing site wide etching solutions.
- Undertaking airworthiness cleanliness checks of engine parts by microscope analysis.
- Ability to show confidence and competency, as well as time management when asked to carry out ad hoc tasks.
- Aptitude and understanding of material science to analyse metallic coated products.
- Competency in methods of sample preparation and confidence in determining evaluation criteria. When determining the integrity of a thermal spray coating, using microscopic comparison of test piece with photomicrograph standards.
- Perform tensile bond tests to test adherence of the thermal spray coating in accordance to specifications of individual coatings.
- Perform hardness tests to test hardness of the thermal spray coating using Rockwell and Vickers methods in accordance to manual specifications of individual coatings.
- Responsible for ordering and controlling analytical grade chemicals in lab stock. Ordering of new chemicals when required for trials and repair development work.
- Teaming working is essential within a hazardous environment and a constricted shift pattern.
- Ability to quickly make decisions based on specialized knowledge both as part of a team and on own initiative. Feeling confident providing commitment times for jobs based on knowledge of process times and with foresight of productions requirements, without compromising on quality of testing.
Qualification and Requirements:
- Bachelors degree in chemistry or related subject.
- Capacity for on the job training and external assessment.
- Quantitative, qualitative & Analytical capabilities.
- Good laboratory practices including use of autotiration / karl fischer equipment
- Practical approach to problem solving and ability to perform in pressurised situations.
- Clear understanding of statistical data analysis.
- Ability to effectively communicate & justify decisions based on test results.
- Ability to work under broad directives, both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience and diligence when working with chemicals & hazardous materials in an industrial environment. Good knowledge of EHS initiatives.
- PC proficiency with Microsoft applications & SAP.
- Ability to understand special production processes to assess how process parameters, can impact resulting processes and in turn, impact the functional performance of a product or chemical.
- Demonstrate competency in audit situations of internal and external regulatory bodies and customers.
You will be required to work a 4 / 5 / 5 shift pattern, hours on shift are 6.30am - 6pm.
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance: BPSS
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, under the applicable UK immigration rules as may be in place from time to time, it may be that candidates who do not currently have the right to work in the UK may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled candidate who does not require sponsorship is available to take up the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
GE supports and encourages flexible working arrangements, where possible, and recognises the benefits to employees of having a positive work-life balance.
At GE Aviation we understand the importance of Total Reward. Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexCh
- Full time
Posted 28 Apr 2021
Closes 27 May 2021
This job was posted to: Aircraft mechanic