Staff Engineer - Power Electronics
- GE Aviation - 500 jobs https://www.jobsinaviation.com/jobs/aviation/ge-aviation/ https://www.jobsinaviation.com/Images/Default/recruiters/Thumbnail/ccc13e36-a3be-4aac-9ef6-88f587f249eb131129807088665247.png
Pompano Beach, Florida, United States
This position includes activities linked to technical improvement of existing products and components. It will impact approaches, projects and programs in the functional area or affected business organization and ways of working, while also impacting quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of own team. This role will also have significant input into priorities, guided by professional practices and policies that are shaped by the role.
This role is open for either Pompano Beach, FL or Long Island, NY location
Roles and Responsibilities
- Defining the physical configuration optimized to convert mechanical inputs that develops an electrical system energized to produce electricity.
Addressing the configuration of electrical apparatus and systems, especially of main generators, of power electronics devices, switchgear, transformers, bus bars, cables, non-conducting materials and comprehensive system integration concepts.
- Developing specialized knowledge in their discipline. Serves as best practice/quality resource. Has awareness of latest technical developments in own area. Contributes towards strategy and policy development, and ensure delivery within area of responsibility.
- Has in-depth knowledge of best practices and how own area integrates with others; has working knowledge of competition and the factors that differentiate them in the market
- Uses judgment to make decisions or solve moderately complex tasks or problems in areas of operational/product management, manufacturing, technology or engineering. Takes new perspective on existing solutions. Uses technical experience and expertise for data analysis to support recommendations. Uses multiple internal and limited external sources outside of own function to arrive at decisions.
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. May lead small projects with moderate risks and resource requirements. Explains difficult or sensitive information; works to build consensus. Developing persuasion skills required to influence others on topics within field.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Engineering
- Experience in aviation electrical power engineering
- Master's Degree or PhD in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum 5 years' experience designing power electronic circuits
- Experience with high voltage and high-power converters/inverters
- Design experience with high power/high density power conversion utilizing SiC and GaN devices for airborne and military ground vehicle applications
- Working knowledge of EMI (CM an DM), transformers, and semiconductor switches and different PWM schemes
- Simulation experience with PLECS or similar tools
- Working knowledge and design experience with 3-phase motor/generator systems
- Strong Electrical circuit design experience and layout knowledge
- Hands on experience working in a lab environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problem
To comply with US immigration and other legal requirements, it is necessary to specify the minimum number of years' experience required for any role based within the USA. For roles outside of the USA, to ensure compliance with applicable legislation, the JDs should focus on the substantive level of experience required for the role and a minimum number of years should NOT be used.
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by
- Full time
Posted 5 May 2022
Closes 3 Jun 2022
This job was posted to: Electrical engineer