Lead Mechanical Engineer
- GE Aviation - 500 jobs https://www.jobsinaviation.com/jobs/aviation/ge-aviation/ https://www.jobsinaviation.com/Images/Default/recruiters/Thumbnail/ccc13e36-a3be-4aac-9ef6-88f587f249eb131129807088665247.png
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
Activities aimed at proving a concept to be valid or technically feasible by the application of scientific and engineering methodologies.
Responsible for departmental operations planning/execution or is focused on execution of professional activities within a technical discipline. Functions with some autonomy but guided by established policies or review of end results.
The job allows modification of procedures and practices covering work as long as the end results meet standards of acceptability (quality, volume, timeliness etc.).
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conceptual or theoretical activities related to the principles of engineering, physics, and materials science for the design, analysis, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. Includes the analysis of static (structural) and dynamic (rotordynamics, vibrations) behaviour of mechanical systems
- Technical authority for the mechanical design, determining the production techniques & design concept to meet business objectives.
- Responsible for delivering project scope, manging the schedule, cost & weight performance along with quality for assigned work packages on the project
- Includes direct people management responsibility including staffing and performance development. Utilizes in-depth knowledge of a technical discipline and analytical thinking and technical experience to execute policy/strategy.
- Has knowledge of best practices and how own area integrates with others; is aware of the competition and the factors that differentiate them in the market, with e ffective use of prototyping techniques to de-risk the development. Also d riving the Design for Manufacture, assembly, and test along with Design for Cost.
- Uses some judgment and has some ability to propose different solutions outside of set parameters to address more complicated manufacturing processes with technical variety and/or interdependent production cycles. Uses technical experience and analytical thinking. Uses multiple internal and limited external sources outside of own teams to arrive at decisions.
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. Acting as Coach / Mentor
- Interface for technical information directly with customers and suppliers.
- Extensive Liaison with global & local engineering, manufacturing, & quality functions.
- Ensure design is in accordance with company and industry standards and processes.
- Good understanding to thermal and/or structural engineering analysis along with material science
- A bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university/college or similar level of knowledge / experience.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems. Ability to document, plan, market, and execute programs. Established project management skills.
- Experience in creating innovative, complex mechanical designs for new product development, preferably in a safety critical environment.
- Aviation interest ideally, however medical devices or other regulated / safety critical industrial applications will be considered.
- Experience of product design and development activities embracing design for manufacture, value engineering, Design for Six Sigma.
- Strong Awareness of using a PLM system such as Team-centre or Windchill
- Working knowledge of MRP/ERP systems & IT
- Comfortable working in and leading highly collaborative teams
- Strong awareness on using 3D modelling software preferably Siemens NX, ANSYS thermal and structural packages. Including Apriori, Granta and AutoCrear applications.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and a willingness to occasionally travel
GE supports and encourages flexible working arrangements, where possible, and recognises the benefits to employees of having a positive work-life balance.
At GE Aviation we understand the importance of Total Reward. Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexChoice, gives you freedom, choice and flexibility in the way you receive your benefits, as well as giving you the opportunity to make savings where possible. As a new joiner to GE we are pleased to be able to offer you the following as default in your benefit fund, which you then can tailor to meet your individual needs;
- Full time
Posted 4 May 2022
Closes 2 Jun 2022
This job was posted to: Aircraft mechanic