Senior Staff Instrumentation Systems Engineer
- GE Aviation - 500 jobs https://www.jobsinaviation.com/jobs/aviation/ge-aviation/ https://www.jobsinaviation.com/Images/Default/recruiters/Thumbnail/ccc13e36-a3be-4aac-9ef6-88f587f249eb131129807088665247.png
Evendale, Ohio, United States
The "Instrumentation Systems" role needs to understand the physics of sensor operation, the transmission of signals through wiring, and the electronic signal conditioning to achieve signals suitable for digitization and further processing. Troubleshooting skills are critical in this role, to differentiate between data issues due to sensor or test site problems and data irregularities when sensors are working properly and a design concern with the test article needs to be investigated. Confidence in the instrumentation system will enable you to stand behind the data and help the design engineers understand what is really going on.
• Provide pre-TPS (pretest) consultation on selecting sensors for novel measurement problems with engineering customers e.g. "For a new fuel filter investigation (wear on spring interfaces), what sensors could we use?"
• Provide guidance for the analysis / evaluation of all sensor types as problems arise:
strain gages, accelerometers, dynamic pressures, static pressures, thermocouples, 1/revs (mag pickups), inductive proximity probes, capacitive clearance probes, and tip timing sensors (light probes & passive eddy current probes)
• Be a bridge between TSE, test sites, and engineering customers to ensure proper functioning and interpretation of sensor data.
• Review dynamic sensor data in the time domain to assess sensor health in real-time and review the same data in the frequency domain to provide further insights.
• Define and develop sensor processes related to design, analysis, quality and/or productivity improvements.
• Maintain an awareness and survey of industry trends related to new sensor technologies and leverage new measurement techniques (commercially available) into TSE. Contribute to sensor technology roadmap and strategy planning.
• Identify need for technical and program reviews within the organization
• Lead technical reviews and participate as a reviewer
• Monitor and communicate project status, business issues and significant developments as appropriate
• Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks consistent with engineering policies and procedures
• Formulate and implement plans to achieve technical and program requirements, schedule and contract commitments
• Develop action plans to anticipate and respond to problems
• Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, or Computer Science
• At least 8 additional years' experience in an engineering position
• Ability to interpret sensor signals impact on customer hardware and provide actionable feedback for test decisions. (e.g. "The accelerometer data is representing an accurate measurement. Continued engine runs will likely cause a part failure due to resonance well beyond limits.")
• Ability to guide and influence others - mentor team members in "Systems Thinking" for the
specific sensor types they are applying or using.
• In-depth understanding of engineering technology and tools
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
• At least 10 additional years' experience in an engineering position
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law
- Full time
Posted 1 Oct 2021
Closes 30 Oct 2021
This job was posted to: Product support