Systems Engineer (with opportunity develop in to System Safety)
- GE Aviation - 247 jobs https://www.jobsinaviation.com/jobs/aviation/ge-aviation/ https://www.jobsinaviation.com/Images/Default/recruiters/Thumbnail/ccc13e36-a3be-4aac-9ef6-88f587f249eb131129807088665247.png
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
Aviation, both commercial and military, is one of the safest forms of travel with 1000s of aircraft carrying millions of people in the skies above us as you read this. But have you ever wondered how that great safety record is established and maintained?
We have an opportunity has arisen for a highly motivated and enthusiastic engineer to join the UK Safety Team. In this role you will learn how we develop our systems and products to meet the stringent safety requirements applicable to our safety critical industry. In doing so, you will help bring to market our next generation of industry leading Avionics, and Power Distribution System products.
At GE Aviation the safety of our products and the people that use them is our number one priority, and as a result we have established a systems engineering process that has safety at its heart. In this role, you will work collaboratively with the wider engineering teams, across a range of projects, by performing system safety assessments to ensure that our products meet the required levels of safety throughout their lifecycle.
Job Description Roles and Responsibilities
With the right support and development from our experienced team, you will learn how to capture the system safety engineering approach in a Safety Program Plan. working closely with customers and other engineering functions to ensure that safety requirements are understood and identified, and performing incremental safety analyses, such as hazard assessment, Fault Tree Analysis, and common mode analysis, so show that the product being developed meets those requirements, introducing new requirements along the way as needed.
You will also, perform safety related reviews of project documentation, and may be called upon to support the Safety Product Management Team (SPMT), which will enable you to develop an understanding of how in-service safety concerns are raised and resolved.
You will have a relevant degree from an accredited university or college or an equivalent amount of related experience.
You will have an understanding of the systems design lifecycle within aerospace or a similar embedded systems development environment . Direct experience of performing System Safety engineering activities would be advantageous, however is not required as on the job training will be provided.
Of course, it's not just about the technical! You consider yourself to have strong interpersonal and leadership skills with the experience and confidence in presenting to peers and more senior stakeholders within the business.
In short you would feel comfortable in meeting the following which are considered important of our leaders within GE;
- Humble: respectful, receptive, agile, eager to learn
- Transparent: promptly shares critical information, speaks with candor, and contributes constructively
- Focused: quick learner, strategically prioritizes work, committed
- Leadership ability: strong communicator, collaborative
- Problem solver: analytical-minded, challenges existing processes, critical thinker
In addition to the \"must-haves", there are of course \"nice-to-haves\" which we would consider advantageous but not a deal breaker;
- Understanding of how the safety assessment process integrates with the systems engineering approach
- Knowledge of the following: ARP 4754A, ARP4761, RTCA DO-178B/C and DO-254
- Knowledge of processes leading to compliance with industry regulatory standards
- Knowledge and experience of performing reliability analyses, such as Reliability Prediction and FMEA, on electronic and/or electro-mechanical systems
GE supports and encourages flexible working arrangements, where possible, and recognises the benefits to employees of having a positive work-life balance.
At GE Aviation we understand the importance of Total Reward. Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexChoice, gives you freedom, choice and flexibility in the way you receive your benefits, as well as giving you the opportunity to make savings where possible.
As a new joiner to GE we are pleased to be able to offer you the following as default in your benefit fund, which you then can tailor to meet your individual needs;
- Non-contributory Pension
- Life Assurance
- Group income protection
- Comprehensive Private medical cover
- Holiday Hourly equivalent of 26 days, with flexible option to buy or sell
Baseline Personnel Secur
- Full time
Posted 31 Aug 2021
Closes 30 Sep 2021
This job was posted to: Product support